Resident Return Visa

Resident Return Visa

With this visa you can

  • travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident until the travel facility of your visa expires 

If you leave Australia after your permanent visa travel facility has expired, you will not be able to return to Australia as a permanent resident. If you wish to return to Australia as a permanent resident, you must apply for and be granted this visa before your arrival in Australia.

If you are already in Australia as a permanent resident, you do not need to apply for this visa if you do not wish to travel.

There are no limits on the number of Resident Return visas (RRV) you can apply for.


AUD405 for each applicant if you apply online

AUD485 for each applicant if you apply on paper. If you are exempt from paying the Non-internet application charge a repayment will automatically be processed and the payment returned to you.

You might also have to pay for other costs including health checks, police certificates and biometrics. We will advise you if this is required.

To work out what your visa will cost, use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs.

How long the travel facility lasts

If you are granted an RRV, the travel facility will vary depending on your circumstances.

If you have: 

  • lived in Australia for a total of 2 years in the last 5 years as a permanent resident or Australian citizen, then you meet what is known as the ‘residence requirement’ and will be given a 5 year travel facility on your RRV.
  • not met the ‘residence requirement’ but have demonstrated you have substantial ties with Australia that benefit Australia, then you can only be given a maximum of 12 months travel facility on your RRV. See ‘eligibility’ for the requirements.
  • applied as a member of family unit of a person who already holds an RRV, or who has lodged a seperate application for an RRV and meets the time of application criteria for grant, then you can only be given a maximum of 12 months travel facility on your RRV.
  • not met any of the above requirements, but have compelling and compassionate reasons for departure, then you can only be given 3 months travel facility on your RRV (subclass 157).

It is not possible to carry over the remaining travel facility from any previous visa to the subsequently granted RRV. You will not be able to get a refund for any lost travel facility.

If you hold an RRV, you should always be aware of the expiry date of the travel facility. You can check this on VEVO.

We will not send reminders to you when the travel facility of your RRV is about to expire. If you need to travel, you should apply for a new RRV before your existing travel facility expires in order to avoid delays.

There are only four types of permanent visa holders who are sent a Travel Facility Expiry Reminder (TFER), including permanent Partner visa holders. For more information, see Overseas travel as a permanent resident.

If you return to Australia without a permanent visa and a valid travel facility (for example, a visitor visa), this might impact your:

  • entitlements as a permanent resident
  • ability to satisfy the permanent residence requirements when applying for Australian citizenship or another RRV.

If you are in Australia and your travel facility has expired and you do not wish to travel, you do not need to apply for an RRV.

Include family

You can't include family members in your application.

If other family members are also applying for this visa separately at the same time, then you can have all your applications processed together, if you declare them in your application.

While you can’t include family members as visa applicants in your application, you should provide information about any immediate family members who are Australian citizens or permanent residents in your application. This is important, if you are trying to show that you have substantial ties of benefit to Australia.

Apply from

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa but not in immigration clearance. If you apply in Australia using a paper form, you must send your application to the specified address specified in Form 1085 – Application for a Resident Return visa (RRV). You cannot apply in person.

If you have applied for your visa but have not received it and you need to travel urgently see contact us.

Processing times

Subclass 155

  • 75% of applications: 86 days
  • 90% of applications: 3 months

Subclass 157

  • 75% of applications: 4 months
  • 90% of applications: 4 months

Generally, applications that:

  • meet the residence requirements will be processed within 5 working days from lodgement
  • do not meet the residence requirement will take longer to process. For example, this can be 12 weeks from lodgement 

Your application can also take longer to process if:

  • you do not fill it in correctly
  • you do not include all the documents we need
  • we need more information from you
  • it takes us time to verify your information

Your application will not be processed if you do not pay the correct application charge. If necessary, you will be notified and your application returned.

Your obligations

You must obey all Australian laws.


You can travel for a specified period depending on your circumstances from the date your visa is granted.

After that period, you will need another RRV visa to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident. Alternatively, you may wish to consider your eligibility for Australian Citizenship so you can travel on an Australian passport.

See when your existing travel facility ends in VEVO.

Visa label

We will digitally link your visa to your valid travel document. You will not get a label in your passport.